Brendan’s piercing world record attempt spiked

A Wollongong man who was poised to claim a place in Guinness World Records says he is devastated at the book’s decision to “rest” the record he was going to break.
Nanjing Night Net

Brendan Sawczuk was set up to attempt a world record next weekend, but has been forced to reconsider. Picture: DAVE TEASE

Body piercing specialist Brendan Sawczuk spent $3500 on materials ahead of his June 16 attempt on the record, for the most people body-pierced in one hour by one person.

He planned to pierce 120 nostrils in 60 minutes at his Wollongong salon, Pierce Xpress, to beat existing record-holder Rhonda Polley, who pierced 64 people in Melbourne on September 18, 2010.

MORE: 120 nose piercings in an hour … can Brendan do it?

Guinness approved Mr Sawczuk’s application in January but by late May, when he wrote again to check if Ms Polley’s record still stood, he was told the record had been rested.

“This … means that no-one can attempt this record and become a new record holder and therefore is not a category that we wish to pursue further,” a representative for the franchise wrote in an email.

In a later email, a representative said the decision was made on health and safety grounds but – bizarrely – a new “most people pierced in one hour” record category had been created – the same as the former category but without the requirement for a single person to perform the piercings.

The change meant Mr Sawczuk could still likely break the record, but his new record would be easily beaten by a group of people performing piercings at once.

“They could get 500 [piercers] and … do one each,” Mr Sawczuk said.

Mr Sawczuk, who was preparing sterilised, individualised piercing kits in the lead-up to his attempt, believed the new category posed a greater health and safety risk.

“They’re saying to me they’re worried about one person going quick, yet they’re encouraging multiple people to go quick, doing multiple skin penetrations in the one premises, which is more unsterile,” he said.

“If there was some sort of logical explanation, I could accept it and move on but it’s very contradictory.”

In an email, a Guinness representative told Mr Sawczuk the franchise’s records were constantly under review.

“Whilst we do not think this to be the case, in this instance we have become concerned that the record category, when limited to one piercer, may encourage the applicant to perform the process at a greater speed, potentially at the cost of the quality of aftercare,” the email read.

“We wanted to avoid the record category reflecting the fastest time to undertake a piercing and as such we felt this record category should not be limited to one piercer and should be increased to a team of unlimited size. Having said that, the record category may still be attempted by an individual.”

More than 120 people had volunteered to be pierced as part of Mr Sawczuk’s record attempt.

He said he still planned to make the attempt but it could be delayed as his correspondence with Guinness continued.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments are closed.

Post Navigation