Category Archives: 南京夜网

Co-ordinated approach the key to fight disease 

It has been encouraging to see the level of producer and industry support for the risk-management approach of the new National OJD Management Plan 2013-18.
Nanjing Night Net

Some producers have contacted Sheepmeat Council of Australia seeking additional information about the new national Sheep Health Statement.

Answers to frequently asked questions about the statement are available at www.ojd南京夜网.au to help producers complete the statement.

In drafting the new statement, producer and industry groups were consulted extensively.

There was a strong desire for the statement to be an easy-to-use document that helps buyers to conduct a risk assessment on a consignment by quickly reviewing answers to a series of yes/no questions.

Industry also recognised that vaccination is the best tool available for reducing effects of OJD and that it is an important tool in controlling the disease spread.

Therefore vaccination status is recognised in the statement.

The form allows producers to indicate the number of years that they have been continually vaccinating against OJD, acknowledging the benefit of continuous vaccination against the disease.

The statement also includes questions on flock history and flock testing results for brucellosis, footrot and lice.

The plan gives producers the opportunity to manage risk for a number of animal health diseases, not just OJD, when buying stock.

The combination of the risk management approach, encouragement of vaccination and the statement as a decision-making tool can make a difference in reducing disease spread and improving farm productivity.

We encourage all producers to look at the statement before July 1 and to make use of this valuable risk management tool when buying sheep.

Copies of the SHS are available at www.ojd南京夜网.au or by calling 1800 332 312.

Ian McColl,

president,

Sheepmeat Council of Australia

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Charges prompt inquiry into alleged race-fixing

HARNESSRacing NSW has begun its investigation into alleged race-fixing across the North West, launching an inquiry in Tamworth yesterday.
Nanjing Night Net

The inquiry is looking at several races in the North West and Hunter areas, in particular between February and May this year.

Three investigators will head up the inquiry including Harness Racing NSW deputy chairman of stewards, Chris Paul, integrity officer John Zucal and former police officer, Bill Beekman.

Mr Paul said the inquiry heard from eight people who were called to appear yesterday.

“Only one man hasn’t presented himself and that is Mr Mabbott and that is on advice of his solicitor, due to the fact that he has matters before the court,” Mr Paul told The Northern Daily Leader.

Anthony Mabbott was named by media outlets last month as the 34-year-old Duri harness racing trainer charged with four offences including two counts of facilitating conduct that corrupts the betting outcome of an event as well as two charges of use corrupt conduct information to bet on event.

Strike Force Trentbridge raided a home on Werris Creek Rd at Duri on May 27.

He has been granted bail to appear in Tamworth Local Court on June 24.

The harness racing inquiry was prompted after raids by police attached to Strike Force Trentbridge, which has resulted in three men in total charged over alleged race-fixing incidents across both thoroughbred and harness racing.

“We are interviewing several licensed people, as in trainers and drivers,” Mr Paul said.

The interviews surrounded associations, contact, tactics and circumstances of several different races.

“We’ve asked for phone records from several licensed people that we have interviewed today and we’re also getting betting information pertaining to the races, but that’s yet to become available,” he said.

“We intend to speak with several owners after the evidence given today.

“We’ve taken a quantum of evidence and what we’ve taken today is significant, and we have got a lot of information to digest and consider.”

And they haven’t ruled out returning to the North West.

“There may be registered people who do become people of interest based on evidence we receive and the investigation,” he said.

Investigators say they need to tread carefully, but warn there will be consequences for breaching the rules.

“People could face charges under Harness Racing NSW rules and the potential penalties could be quite severe,” Mr Paul said.

“This inquiry is central to ensuring the integrity of harness racing and restoring people’s faith in the industry.

“Harness Racing NSW will thoroughly investigate and pursue any matters that have the potential to damage the image of the industry.”

Mr Paul said they want to ensure people have an understanding of the integrity department.

“There is no place for those who believe they can behave in the manner that brings the industry into disrepute,” he said.

The investigation now heads to the Hunter area today where the inquiry will hear from four people.

“Once we complete the interviews and consider the evidence, then it will be dependent on where the inquiries take us,” Mr Paul said.

Racing NSW is yet to set a date for its inquiry into the developments surrounding Strike Force Trentbridge.

Stewards have maintained they were waiting for the results of blood and urine tests from Prussian Secret, which were due to be returned on Monday.

A  MATTER  OF INTEGRITY: Harness Racing NSW deputy chairman of stewards Chris Paul is in Tamworth to investigate race-fixing allegations. Photo: Gareth Gardner 040613GGC02

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

LETTER: Fatigue the road killer

IT is interesting to read the time and day factors in the fatal traffic accident data, (‘‘Hunter road carnage, Herald 3/6). The early figures might be shift workers going to and from work, some people running late and others fatigued after night shift and not being alert.
Nanjing Night Net

The rush to get to work and children to schools in the time frame of 8am and 9am is interesting, as is the 3pm to 5pm period.

Is there a connection between being late because children are not ready to leave home or inflexible working hours, mixed in with peak time traffic?

There could be a solution to all the problems, with better advertising stressing that leaving five minutes early is better than not arriving at all.

Fatigue will always be a killer while people ignore the need to rest and, in the case of night shift workers, be very careful driving home.

Anti-gambling initiatives given funding boost

Wollongong will soon receive new community resources to support families affected by problem gambling, thanks to a federal government funding boost.
Nanjing Night Net

Illawarra Legal Centre will be one of 50 community agencies across the country to receive special financial counsellors as part of a $22.6 million anti-gambling boost from Canberra.

The Warrawong-based organisation has received funding for a counsellor specifically to help family related gambling debt. The new counsellor will liaise with gaming venues, run community outreach programs and help connect problem gamblers with necessary services.

MORE: The new Illawarra gambling addict

“They will be going out in the community and working directly with parts of the community related to problem gambling,” Illawarra Legal Centre co-ordinator Truda Gray said. “It allows us to do the legwork ourselves.”

Announced last week by Minister for Families, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs, Jenny Macklin, and Minister for Community Services, Julie Collins, the Illawarra is one of 17 NSW regions successful in being granted one of the new positions.

The new counsellor would join the legal centre’s existing team of three financial counsellors but would be solely focused on gambling issues related to families.

“It’s the type of debt that needs a wider support and we need work in the community to support people who have this type of debt,” Ms Gray said.

Other counsellors across Australia will find new homes within Anglicare, Mission Australia and Lifeline, among others.

For more information, contact Illawarra Legal Centre on 4276 1939.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Illawarra Brewery takeover to quench thirsts

This weekend, The Illawarra Brewery will be pouring beers that have never been seen before in Wollongong.
Nanjing Night Net

David McGrath serves up a cold one ahead of The Illawarra Brewery’s 20 Tap Takeover of craft beers. Picture: ORLANDO CHIODO

It’s all part of the 20 Tap Takeover, where each of the taps at the brewery will, this Sunday, be given over to serving craft beer from breweries across the country.

The Illawarra Brewing Company operations manager David McGrath said most of the beers were new to the town.

MORE: The reinvention of the Illawarra Brewery

“Absolutely, the majority of them fit into that category,” Mr McGrath said.

“They’re beers that you can’t find on tap in Wollongong day-in and day-out. There are all sorts of different beers.

“I’d say there’d be about two-thirds of them which would never have been on tap in Wollongong before.”

The event would be split into two sessions on the day and brewers from across the country would be happy to answer questions about their beers.

MORE: Beer and food matching dinners boom

Mr McGrath said the event aimed to show the range of craft beer available in Australia.

But it’s not just an event for the “beer geek”, he said.

“The beers that are there are going to appeal to everybody.

“So you’re going to have some beers that beer geeks are going to love but there will still be some entry-level beers for those who are just interested in coming along,” Mr McGrath said.

MORE: Honing their craft? You Am I immortalised in beer

“We’re not segregating the market; we’re trying to make it approachable to everybody.”

While this year’s event hadn’t even happened yet, Mr McGrath said he was looking to make next year’s even bigger.

“Next year, we plan that we’ll take it to that next level, whether it goes into the stadium or across the road [Lang Park],” Mr McGrath said.

“This is an an appetiser for the local community to see how they turn out and support craft beer.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

DA for new Tamworth youth centre to be lodged

A DEVELOPMENT application for the proposed Tamworth Regional Youth Centre is expected to be lodged by the end of the month.
Nanjing Night Net

Plans, artists’ impressions, 3-D images and elevations for the centre were on public exhibition until Monday.

The building will include a drop-in space, cultural spaces, including an auditorium and stage, space for educational purposes and room for youth workers to help young people.

The Youthie will relocate to the centre, which will also house education, health and recreational services for the area’s young people.

The Youthie’s lease at the PCYC building on Peel St will be renewed on a monthly basis until it is able move into the new centre.

The proposed youth centre is part of the NOW Initiative, a project that aims to rejuvenate the Coledale area.

COMING SOON: A development application for the proposed Tamworth Regional Youth Centre – as seen in this image – will be lodged soon.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Teen denied drug lifeline

REID Butler could be going to school, just like most other 16-year-olds. Instead, he is destined to remain bedridden because the medication he needs to simply get around has been suddenly withdrawn from the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme.
Nanjing Night Net

‘‘I don’t want my boy stuck in his bed for the rest of his life,’’ his mother Amie said.

‘‘It’s hard enough for kids with disabilities, and even though Reid handles all the pain and everything with a smile, this is just appalling.’’

Reid, from Buchanan near Kurri Kurri, was born with multiple physical and mental disabilities and diagnosed with a rare endocrine condition as a baby.

Part of his treatment has involved a growth hormone.

Now that Reid is deemed to have reached puberty the hormone treatment is no longer available on the PBS and will cost upwards of $10,000 a year to continue.

For Reid, the equation is simple. With the treatment, he will continue to live a long and reasonably happy life, despite his disabilities. Without it, he is bedridden.

Doctors acting for Reid have pleaded for the drug to be returned to the PBS.

They, along with Reid’s family and those of several other sufferers in the Newcastle area, say the growth hormone is needed to treat Reid’s pituitary problems.

Able bodies create their own growth hormones but Reid’s body doesn’t, and never will.

Associate professor Patricia Crock, the head of paediatric diabetes and endocrine services at John Hunter Hospital, said Reid’s condition had ‘‘deteriorated significantly’’ since he was taken off the drug.

She has written to health authorities ‘‘in the hope that there is some mechanism by which Reid can receive a compassionate supply of growth hormone therapy’’.

Before a recent operation, Reid was well enough to go to school.

On March 27 this year, his bone growth reached what the PBS guidelines deemed their limit, and the subsidised treatment was withdrawn that day.

‘‘I had no idea that would happen,’’ mother Amie said. ‘‘I’d love to get a job, but looking after Reid is 24 hours a day.’’ Reid’s stepfather already works long hours to meet other medical and living costs. They can’t find the extra $10,000 each year for Reid’s treatment.

Amie said that during eight weeks without the medication, Reid had gone ‘‘downhill fast’’.

When the family scraped together enough money for a 20-day supply of the growth hormone, the improvement was noticeable.

The Australian Pituitary Foundation, which represents about 20,000 people with conditions similar to Reid, has been lobbying the federal government for two years to change eligibility criteria, but without success. The foundation has argued that Australia is the only country in the first world that withdraws subsidies for Reid’s condition.

LIFE: Amie Shearman-Golledge with her son Reid Butler, 16, who requires a growth hormone. Picture: Jonathan Carroll

Bendigo woman with heart of gold helps everyone

CHRISSY Budge is forever lending money or opening her home to people in need.
Nanjing Night Net

The Eaglehawk resident was this week recommended by a friend for acknowledgment in the Bendigo Advertiser’s Random Acts of Kindness Month initiative. Her friend Kathie Taintey said Ms Budge was always doing good deeds for people.

“There’s not one of us around this neighbourhood who hasn’t been affected by her love and generosity,” she said.

“This woman has a heart of gold.

“I’ve never met anyone in my life quite like her.

“She lends people money, buys them things like milk if they need it and lets troublesome youths stay with her.

“There have been many occasions when I’ve said to her, ‘You know you shouldn’t be doing that’, but she does it anyway. I really feel she’s deserving of being nominated for the Random Acts of Kindness.”

Ms Budge, 35, said she simply liked to help people.

“I would definitely encourage other people to do what they can to help others, too,” she said.

Chrissy Budge was this week recommended by a friend for her Random Acts of Kindness. Picture: Brendan McCarthy

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Teen lucky to not kill mates: Girl panicked after pinching Pop’s car

AN unlicenced teenage motorist was lucky not to have killed three of her friends when she crashed a car following a police pursuit, a Children’s Court has been told.
Nanjing Night Net

The court was told the 17-year-old female panicked after she took her grandfather’s car without permission and was pulled over at a random breath testing station on April 1 this year.

Police prosecutor Senior Constable Cherree Blair said the teen was driving a Ford Falcon sedan in Fifteenth Street about 2.30pm when she was confronted by police between Etiwanda and Benetook avenues.

Sen-Constable Blair said the driver was tested for the presence of alcohol and then gave police false identification details.

She said that after police told her to wait and went to check her claims, the driver told her three teenage passengers to “hold on” and she sped away from the station in an easterly direction.

The court was told that as police pursued the car, the motorist overtook other vehicles, including in between two lanes of traffic, before turning left into Benetook Avenue.

The prosecutor said the driver reached speeds of between 120-130kmh as she approached two cars that were travelling behind a semi trailer.

Sen-Constable Blair said police terminated the pursuit as the vehicles approached the Fourteenth Street roundabout when the teen driver tried to overtake the vehicles in gravel on the left hand side of the road.

She said the female overtook the two cars but lost control of the vehicle, overcorrected and crashed into the left hand side of the semi-trailer causing substantial damage to the car.

The court was told passengers helped the accused from the vehicle and a second police unit arrived at the scene and assisted to detain the group a short distance away.

For more of this story, purchase your copy of Wednesday’s Sunraysia Daily 05/06/2013.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Pistorius murder trial postponed

South Africa: A South African court has postponed to August 19 the pre-trial hearing of Oscar Pistorius, who has been charged with the murder of his girlfriend, to give police time to wrap up their investigation.
Nanjing Night Net

Magistrate Daniel Thulare also on Tuesday extended bail for Pistorius, South Africa’s Paralympic sprint star.

Earlier, Pistorius arrived at court for the first time since being freed on bail in February over the Valentine’s Day killing of model Reeva Steenkamp.

Sporting a grey suit and blue shirt and tie, and looking tense, the sprinter known as the “Blade Runner” walked through the main front entrance and headed straight to a courtroom packed with media and his family.

Tuesday’s hearing came just days after a British television channel broadcast leaked crime scene pictures showing the blood-spattered bathroom where Pistorius fatally shot Steenkamp multiple times through a locked door.

Prosecutors have charged the 26-year-old with premeditated murder.

Conviction carries a maximum sentence of life in prison.

But the athlete claims he mistook his girlfriend for an intruder in a “terrible accident” and the defence wants the charge reduced to culpable homicide, which risks up to 15 years behind bars.

Steenkamp, 29, who had been dating Pistorius for just a few months, suffered gunshot wounds to her head, elbow and hip.Her mother June told Britain’s Channel 5 in a show aired on Monday the couple had been having arguments.

‘”We’ve been fighting, we’ve been fighting a lot,” Reeva once said in a phone call, June Steenkamp remembered.

“She must have been so afraid in the toilet and somebody is firing bullets through the door. And already one bullet had hit her so she must have been in severe pain also,” said June Steenkamp. “We don’t know what happened. There’s only one person that knows what happened.”

AFP

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.