History to be revisited at antiques bazaar this weekend

BALLARAT residents are invited to experience a slice of The Great Gatsby era at the Ballarat Antique, Collectibles and Vintage Bazaar this weekend.
Nanjing Night Net

To be held at the Mining Exchange in Lydiard Street North, the event will feature about 25 dealers from across Victoria with a range of antiques, collectibles and vintage ware.

Organiser Malcolm Roberts said this was the first time the event would be held in Ballarat.

“We have got something for everyone, from the late 1890s to 1940s,” Mr Roberts said. “We are catering to all budgets, with items ranging from $2 to $2000.

“There is a range of Victorian and art deco furniture, china, porcelain, Coca-Cola memorabilia and cereal toys.”

Mr Roberts said scones would be on offer during the event, with a dollar from the $5 entry fee going towards Devonshire teas.

The Ballarat Antiques, Collectibles and Vintage Bazaar will be held at the Ballarat Mining Exchange on June 8, 9 and 10 from 10am.

For information, contact Mr Roberts on 0421 160 797.

Organiser Malcolm Roberts says the bazaar will have something for everyone.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Pursuit driver faces unlicensed driving charges

A Sebastopol man who lost his licence over a high-speed police chase “thumbed his nose” at the courts by getting back behind the wheel of a car only weeks later, according to a magistrate.
Nanjing Night Net

Blake Hill, 19, received a two-month jail sentence, suspended for 12 months, after pleading guilty in the Ballarat Magistrates Court yesterday to two charges of driving while disqualified.

Only last year, Hill reached speeds of up to 120km/h in Mair Street, and crashed twice during a police pursuit on May 19.

He faced court in October over the incident and was disqualified from driving for two years.

Magistrate Michelle Hodgson said Hill’s decision to get back behind the wheel on two separate occasions in December beggared belief and showed contempt for his court orders.

Yesterday, police prosecutor Senior Constable Vicki Chaffey told the court that on December 16 and December 26, on two separate occasions, police had intercepted Hill while he was driving along Sturt Street.

He had four passengers in the car during the second incident.

Senior Constable Chaffey said Hill admitted to police he had “no good reason” for being behind the wheel while disqualified.

Defence lawyer David Tamanika said his client had been giving some friends a lift and “hadn’t put much thought” into what he was doing.

Mr Tamanika said, similarly, when police had attempted to intercept Hill last May, he led them on a chase for no good reason.

Ms Hodgson said it was a serious matter to drive in direct contravention of a court order.

The court heard in October how Hill had sparked a high-speed chase after police checked his speed at 27km/h over the limit and activated their warning lights.

During the chase, Hill ran a red light and collided with a Kia Rio, before eventually losing control and crashing into the base of a billboard.

Hill will face court on further offences related to his community corrections order on June 18.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Phone rings up trouble at home for Mepunga man

A TROUBLED and toxic relationship saw a Mepunga man convicted and fined $2000.
Nanjing Night Net

Rhys Trevor Coleman, 21, of Boyles Road, pleaded guilty in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court to recklessly causing injury, unlawful assault, breaching an intervention order and careless driving.

Police alleged that Coleman was in a relationship with his partner for two years when she was granted an intervention order in September.

In February, Coleman and the victim argued about a phone that she had on silent, but which he wanted her to leave on audio.

They scuffled and the woman was left with a sore jaw and scratches.

On March 23, they argued after she asked Coleman to move his car so she could go out. She answered her phone but he put her in a bear hug and told her it would be in her best interests to hang up.

She broke free and ran to the police station.

On March 27, Coleman read messages between the woman and another man.

He yelled at the woman and called her names. She drove off and he followed in his vehicle.

Defence counsel Kiernan Celestina said it was a poisonous relationship with both Coleman and the woman worried about infidelity. The relationship has now ended.

Magistrate Jonathan Klestadt said Coleman had attempted to control the woman’s behaviour and arguing about whether a phone was turned up or on silent was bizarre.

He said it was clear the relationship was toxic and involved controlling and abusive behaviour which breached the intervention order.

Follow The Standard on TwitterThis story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Ratepayers to fund Yenda flood clean-up bill 

RATEPAYERS will foot the bill for the Yenda cleanup following last year’s floods after the state government refused to reimburse council the cost of removing tonnes of rubbish from outside homes.
Nanjing Night Net

Piles of ruined furniture, children’s toys, personal items and electrical goods lined the streets of Yenda within days of the evacuation order being lifted, as residents cleared out their sodden homes.

As part of the army of community members who came out to help in any way they could, council staff worked for more than a week to clear the mounds of bulky rubbish from the streets.

The operation came at a cost of almost $370,000.

According to council general manager Brett Stonestreet, an officer from the Department of Public Works advised among the chaos that a grant would be available to cover the cost of removing the items.

But last week council received a letter to say more than $300,000 could not be claimed because the waste was not considered public debris.

“We were advised at the time that, because it was such a chronic health risk to have that rubbish sitting around, we had to remove it immediately to stop the outbreak of disease,” Mr Stonestreet said.

“The number one priority for council is to look after the health and wellbeing of the people living here so we got in and assisted them without waiting for bureaucracy to catch up.

“The alternative is beyond nonsense – we wouldn’t ever have contemplated not doing it.”

Council will now write to the Department of Emergency Services in a last-ditch bid to recover the money.

Henry Street residents Bill and Margaret White were among many who had no way of removing their damaged belongings without council’s help.

Aged 82 and 79, the couple lost everything in the floods and were unable to live in their house for more than 10 months.

“Unless you were young and agile and had the appropriate vehicle, it would have been impossible to get everything out to the dump – particularly because the Yenda tip was closed,” Mrs White said.

“I’d hate to think what would have happened if we were left to fend for ourselves.

“The rubbish would have sat there for a lot longer, which doesn’t bear thinking about when people had rotting meat in their Sulo bins.

“Council did the right thing and they shouldn’t have to pay.”

Yenda Progress Association president Kay Pellizzer has offered to write a letter to the department pleading for council’s funding application to be reconsidered.

The Department of Public Works has refused to reimburse council for clearing away piles of rubbish like this one in South Avenue after the Yenda floods

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Numbers equate for young Warrnambool sharemarket genius

IF you were a punter, you might want to put your money on Brauer College student Henry McLeod.
Nanjing Night Net

The year 12 student has made some smart investments and taken on national recognition for playing the markets wisely — the only problem being that it was all imaginary.

Welcome to the stockmarket game, a task used by maths teachers to bring graphs and statistics to life using the power of classroom competition, piggybacking on the nation’s financial institutions.

The 18-year-old VCAL maths student has emerged the luckiest from across the state and came second for his fiscal fortunes nationwide.

The exercise gives students around $50,000 in play money to sink into their pick of the top 200 listed companies on the ASX.

“I bought into the ANZ, Sydney Airport, Car Sales and the Reject Shop,” Henry said.

Then he played the waiting game.

“It’s actually a bit of a thrill,” he said.

“I didn’t have a strategy, it was just the market that played my way.”

In the end Henry came out nearly $8000 on top, beating thousands of other students around the country. But he has no plans to wear a suit and take up an office in Melbourne. Instead he wants to head to his native New Zealand.

“I’m thinking about going back to New Zealand and being a dairy farmer over there,” he said.

Maths teacher Barry Murrell said students came out of the semester with a better handle of statistics and percentages.

Brauer College student Henry McLeod, 18, won the state stockmarket game and came second in the national competition with a little help from his VCAL maths teacher Barry Murrell.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.